Blackrock Clinic has one of the largest day surgery units in the country which has two full operating theatres, two endoscopy suites, three minor procedure rooms and thirty three bed spaces and recliner chairs. In total the unit increases the hospital’s day care capacity by 200% and makes Blackrock Clinic one of the largest day care providers in the country.
The unit has enabled the delivery of efficient treatment for up to 100 patients a day, or 30,000 patients a year, and we aim to deliver up to 70% of appropriate elective surgeries from the unit, including cataract surgery, hernia repair and varicose vein surgery.
In the last decade there has been a clear trend within advanced systems towards reducing the number of acute beds as a direct result of increasing services through various efficiency and productivity measures such as the use of day surgery. In the US, up to 80% of all appropriate elective operative procedures are now carried out at day surgery facilities where, by comparison, as of 2010, Irish hospitals have been delivering an average of only 55% of procedures in this context.
Thus Blackrock Clinic is pursuing a day Surgery model for appropriate cases where patient outcomes retain the highest quality while phasing out the non-core and unnecessary part of the service.
- 2 Theatres
- 2 Endoscopy rooms
- 3 Minor procedure rooms
- 25 Recovery beds
- Comfortable discharge lounge
- Doctors offices
- Friendly reception lobby
Direct Access Endoscopy Services are also available speedily with a referral letter from your GP.
- Gastroscopy: A Gastroscopy (OGD) is a test which allows the doctor to look at the lining of the oesophagus, the stomach and the first part of the intestine.
- Colonoscopy: A Colonoscopy is a visual examination of the lining of your bowel. It is performed by passing a small flexible tube through the rectum into the colon.
- Cystoscopy: A Cystoscopy is a test that allows your doctor to look at the interior lining of the bladder and the urethra. The cystoscope is a thin instrument with a light that is inserted into the urethra and advanced into the bladder.
- Hysteroscopy: A Hysteroscopy is a procedure that allows your doctor to look inside the uterus in order to diagnose and treat causes of abnormal bleeding. Hysteroscopy is done using a hysteroscope, a thin, lighted tube that is inserted into the vagina to examine the cervix and inside of the uterus.
LEG ULCER CLINIC
We are pleased to announce the availability of the LEG ULCER CLINIC – led by Dr. Mary-Paula Colgan, Consultant Vascular Physician.
This service is accessed by GP referral and located within our Day Unit. Speedy appointments are always available.
To make an appointment with a referral, please contact the secretary on:
Tel: 087 778 6576
Fax: 01 645 9649
Please download this information leaflet for full details:
Leg Ulcer Clinic – Patient Information
Also recently resumed:
THE DRESSINGS CLINIC
Now available with referral, Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9am – 5pm.
With referral, please call 01 268 1915 for an appointment.
Download: Patient Information Leaflet