O Brien, Dr. Conor
Speciality: Sports Medicine
Practice: Suite 26, Blackrock Clinic
Clinic Times: Mon & Wed all day, & Fri pm
Telephone: 01 526 2240
Fax: 01 526 2244
Dr. Conor O’Brien is currently based in Blackrock Clinic, Dublin. He has worked as a team doctor to the Irish Olympic team in 1996, and as the Leinster Rugby team doctor from 1997 to 1999. Dr. O’Brien was the Chairman of the Irish Sports Council Anti Doping Committee from 1999 to 2005, and a member of the World Anti Doping Committee from 2005 to 2007.
He was awarded the prestigious Leonard Abrahamson Medal for Medicine by the RCSI in 1986 and was the first non-American to be certified by the American Board of Sports Medicine. Dr. O’Brien was also named Nova UCD Entrepreneur of the Year 2006 for his Fitfone invention.
Education and Experience
- MB BCH BAO LRCPSI [Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland] 1986
- Diploma of the Canadian Society of Clinical Neurophysiology (EMG) 1998
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland 2001
- Dip Sports Medicine [London Hospital] 1989
- Dip Sports Medicine [Society of Apothecaries] 1991
- American Boards in Sports Medicine 1992
- Dip Sports Medicine [Combined Scottish College] 1991
- Dip Musculoskeletal Medicine [Society of Apothecaries] 1992
- Fellowship of the American College of Sports Medicine 1993
- MSc [Masters of Science] The London Hospital Medical College 1995
- Fellow of the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine [UK] 2007
- Founding Fellow of the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine 2003
Research and Publications
- Drugs, Sport and the Young Adult , Original Writing 2013
- Peripheral Nerve Disease, Erin Publication2001
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, ABC publication 2005
- The Fitfone Book of Wellness, Raglan Publishing 2010
- MCQ`s in Sports Medicine, Butterworth Heinman 1999
- The Little Green Book of Golf Secrets, Raglan Publishing 2009
- Alcohol: A major factor in poor endurance performance in rugby player – C. O’Brien. World Congress in Science and Football Eindhoven May 1991
- Incidence of rugby injury in the Leinster area, 1987-1980.
- O’Brien. World Congress in Science and football Eindhoven May 1991
- Prevention: A guide to rugby injuries – C. O’Brien. February 1991. Irish Rugby Review Vol.8, No.3.
- Irish rugby fitness room for improvement.
- O’Brien. March 1991. Irish Rugby Review Vol.8. No.4.
- The Effects of Alcohol on Players. C. O’Brien. Rugby News, March 1991.
- Hydration in Sports. C. O’Brien. Irish Racquets Review March 1991
- Myositis Ossificans, Clinical Quiz. Modern Medicine of Ireland, September 1991.
- Water Works. Rugby News. November 1991.
- Over training in Rugby Football C. O’Brien Irish Rugby Review Vol. 9 No 2 1991
- Retrospective Survey of Rugby Injuries in Ireland. British Journal of Sports Medicine 1992 26(4).
- Shin Splints. Clinical Quiz. Modern Medicine of Ireland. August/September 1992
- Over Use Injuries in Sport. C. O’Brien. Irish Medical News. October 5th 1992
- Alcohol and its effect on recreational and Competitive Sports Performance. C. O’Brien. Sports Medicine International, November 1992
- The Effect of Rugby Playing and Training on Lipid and Lipoprotein Profiles. C. O’Brien. The Physician and Sports Medicine, January 1993
- Footballer’ Ankle. C. O’Brien. The British Journal of Orthopaedic Medicine, November 1992
- Golf Injuries. C. O’Brien. Irish Medical News. Nov.1993
- Incidents of Anaemia in the Irish Tennis Squad. C. O’Brien. First World Congress of Science in Tennis. Jan 1994
- Runner’s Diarrhoea C. O’Brien Gastroenterology In Practice, November 1993
- Alcohol and Sport C. O’Brien Patient Management New Zealand November 1993
- Alcohol and Sport C. O’Brien Patient Management Australia December 1993
- The effects of regular training on lipid profiles in a rugby population. O’Brien, JF Fielding IN. Sports Science and Foot Ball Spoon FN 1996
- Iron Consumption Among A Rugby Population. O’Brien C, Fielding J IN. Sports Science and Foot Ball Spoon FN 1996
- Alcohol Usage by Elite Rugby Players and Referees. O’Brien C, Fielding J IN. Sports Science and Foot Ball Spoon FN 1996
- Fitness for Tennis. C O’Brien. Tennis Ireland, May 1991.
- “Rugby Neck”, Cervical Degeneration in Rugby Front Rows – Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 6. N1 1996
- Exercises Prescription Lessening The Risk of Physical Activity – The Journal of Cardiovascular Risk Feb 1996
- Facet Stress Fracture In A Young Athlete
- O’Brien , C. Williams, G. Duffy Physician & Sports Medicine August 1997
- Exercise Prescription For Geriatric Patients Irish Hospital, C O`Brien
- Exercise Protocol For The Elderly Patient Coronary Heart Disease September 1997, C O`Brien
- Sports Medicine Drug Testing Results in Atlanta Confound Expectations. Hospital Doctor of Ireland Vol.2 No. 12 December 1996 C O`Brien
- Lateral Epicondylitis – The Role Of Rehabilitation, Irish Medical News May 1996, C O`Brien
- Creatine use in Sport Irish Medical Times November 1998, C O`Brien
- Position Statement of the Irish Heart Foundation on Physical Activity, Heartwise, Spring 2000. C O`Brien, J .Peters, P Murphy, M Mulvihil, V Maher, J Barry, A Moran, T Dorley, M O`Murihurtigh
- Position Statement of the Irish Heart Foundation on Physical Activity, IHF Web page [full text], May 2000. C O`Brien, J .Peters, P Murphy, M Mulvihil, V Maher, J Barry, A Moran, T Dorley, M O`Murihurtigh
- Drugs in Sport – Past and Present, Irish Medical Times, April 2000, C O`Brien
- Alcohol and the Athlete, Sports Medicine International, May 2000 Dr. Conor P.O’Brien, Frank Lyons
- Superior Gluteal Nerve Palsy, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Jan. 2000
- Kenny, C. O’Brien, K. Synott, M. Walsh.
- Overuse tendon injuries in Sport Irish Medical Times December 2000 C O`Brien
- Long-term effects of childbirth on fecal continence and pudendal nerve function. M Eogan, C. O’Brien, M. Behan, Pr O’Connell, C. O’Herlihy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004 189(6):S72 [Abstract]. Oral presentation at 24th Annual Meeting of Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, New Orleans. February 2004
- Evaluation of pathological carpal tunnel syndrome in pregnancy.
- Eogan, C. O’Brien, D. Carolan, M. Fynes, C. O’Herlihy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004 189(6):S146 [Abstract]. Poster presentation at 24th Annual Meeting of Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, New Orleans. February 2004
- Pudendal Neuropathy. Letter to the editor [ 203557]; American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynacology 2003;189;1114-1119; C O Brien, C O Herlihy, R O Connell
- A randomised clinical trial comparing the effects of delayed versus immediate pushing with epidural analgesia on mode of delivery and faecal continence. Fitzpatrick M, Harkin R, McQuillan K, O’Brien C, O’Connell PR, O’Herlihy C – BJOG. 2002 Dec;109(12):1359-65.
- Evidence of ante partum pudendal neuropathy and the effect of vaginal delivery in pregnant insulin dependent diabetic women. Mahony R, O’Brien C, O’Connell PR, O’Herlihy C. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2002;S150:331
- Classification of pudendal neuropathy associated with postpartum faecal incontinence. O’Herlihy C, Fitzpatrick M, O’Brien C, O’Connell PR. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2002; S168:399
- Patterns of abnormal pudendal nerve conduction associated with postpartum faecal incontinence. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2003;189(3):730-735 –
- Faecal Continence and Pudendal Nerve Function In Older Women – Does Vaginal Delivery or Age Have the Greatest Impact? Eogan M, O’Brien C, Behan M, O’Connell PR, O’Herlihy C. Read by title abstract, Joint ICS/IUGA meeting. Paris 2004
- Long-term effects of childbirth on fecal continence and pudendal nerve function Eogan M, O’Brien C, Behan M, O’Connell PR, O’Herlihy C. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004; 189(6):S72 [Abstract]
- Evaluation of pathological carpal tunnel syndrome in pregnancy Eogan M, O’Brien C, Carolan D, Fynes M, O’Herlihy C. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004; 189(6):S146 [Abstract]
- Median and ulnar nerve conduction in pregnancy Eogan M, O’Brien C, Carolan D, Fynes M, O’Herlihy C. Int J Gynecol Obstet 2004;87:233-236
- Pudendal neuropathy is best determined by full neurophysiologic assessment. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004 Nov;191(5):1836
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome; Clinical Review. O Brien C. Forum Journal of the Irish College of General Practitioners. Vol 24. No6. 6 June 2007
- An update on the prevalence and treatment of T.B. in the elderly. The North Dublin Geriatric Society September 1988
- An approach to the use of Apomorphine in the treatment of Parkinson’s Disease. Neuroscience Society of Dublin Beaumont Hospital May 1989
- The health benefits of sport and exercise. ABC Master Class Blackrock Clinic March 1990
- Irish Rugby injury survey 1986 – 1989. Second World Congress in Football and Science Eindhoven May 1991
- Injury Prevention – Blackrock College Sport Medicine Meeting, August1991.
- Lipid Profiles of a Rugby Union Population. The London Hospital Clinical Sports Medicine Meeting May 1992
- Lecturing to Academic General Practitioner Groups on Injection Techniques. September 1992 to February 1993, (Glaxo Sponsored)
- Injury Prevention in Sports (May, June and November 1992) to the Irish Leinster Rugby Union; Irish Soccer Association; Gaelic Games Association, Blackrock Clinic, Dublin
- Rugby injuries in Ireland “Alcohol a preventable cause”. Varsity Sport injuries Meeting Middlesex Hospital ,December 4th 1993, (Howmedica Sponsored)
- Exercise Prescription for Primary and Secondary prevention of Heart Disease. International Conference on Cardiac Disease and Sports Participation. Beaumont Hospital ,Dublin April 1994, Belfast City Hospital, Belfast June 1994, Grand Rounds, Washington University, Seattle Washington, USA, Sept. 1994
- Injection therapy for Musculoskeletal injury, “methods and practice”. Grand Rounds, Washington University ,Seattle Washington, USA, May 1995
- Sports Injuries The Role of Electrodiagnostic Medicine. Grand Rounds, Washington University Seattle Washington USA, June 16th 1997
- The “In Season” And “Out Season” Lipid Profiles Of A Group Of Rugby Union Players. Athletes Irish Hyperlipadeamia Society Christ Church, Dublin, Dec 6th 1996
- Faecal Incontinence, the role of Electrodiagnosis of the Pudendal Nerve. February 1997 Rotunda Hospital. Symposium: Incontinence
- EMG of the Pelvic Floor. October 1997, Holles Street Hospital. Symposium on Faecal Incontinence post-partum
- Beaumont Product Unit a means for prescribing exercise in phase 4 of a cardiac rehabilitation program. European Cardiac Rehabilitation Society, Hungary May 1999
- Exercise and the Irish Population. Irish Leisure and Amenities Association Annual Conference Westport October 2000
- Drugs in Sport Past, Present and Future. Irish Association of Clinical Biochemists October 2000 Belfast
- Drugs in Sport. January – December 2000, a series of 10 lectures to Clinical Societies
- Fecal Incontinence: the Role of QEMG – The Irish Experience. October 2002 – AAEM Annual Meeting in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Drugs in Sport- CME at RCSI for the Irish Sports Council. February and November 2000-2004
- Pelvic Nerve Assessment – Royal College of Obs & Gynae London 2005
- Neurophatic Pain – RCPI June 2006 Pfizer pain symposiu, Dublin
- Pudendal Nerve Screening – AAEM October 2006;Washington DC USA
- Neurophysiology of the pelvic floor. Irish Society of Gastroenterology.O Reilly Hall UCD ; Dublin Nov 2006
- Fitfone Nova – UCD finalist presentation – 1st place November 2006 Dublin
- WADA TUE in Asthma ; proposal for TUE guide lines – Bonn Germany 13 Sept 2006
- Stingers and Burners – SSC Clinical Meeting for General Practitioners, SSC Santry September 2012
- Levator Ani Syndrome – British Society of Clinical Neurophysiology [Joint meeting with the Italian Society of Neurophysiology] Queens Square, September 2012
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Association of Neuromuscular Disease and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
- Canadian Society of Clinical Neurophysiology