Kenny, Prof. Damien
Practice: Suite 3, Blackrock Clinic
Clinic Times: Every second Thursday afternoon 2-7pm
Telephone: 087 225 7591
Fax: 01 686 5535
- Interventional Cardiology
- Adult Conegital Heart Disease
- Transcatheter Heart Valve Replacement
- PFO Closure
- Heart Disease in the Young
- Hybrid Interventions
Damien Kenny is a graduate of UCD School of Medicine. He then gained international experience, having worked as a Medical Officer in Mongolia and Vietnam. In 2011, he completed specialist training in Paediatric Cardiology from the UK which included an Interventional Fellowship in Congenital and Structural Heart Disease in the USA. The following year he received his Doctor of Medicine (MD) from the University of Bristol, UK.
Currently, he works as a Consultant Congenital Cardiologist in Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital Crumlin, and Mater Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. In late 2017, he was appointed as a RCSI Clinical Associate Professor. He has previously held an Honorary Consultant post in Paediatric Cardiac Transplantation and Heart Failure, Great Ormond Street Hospital, UK. In the USA, at Rush University Medical Center, he was Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine and later worked as the Director of the Cardiac Catheterisation Hybrid Suite.
He is a Director of the PICS~AICS meeting, the largest international meeting dedicated solely to international therapies for children and adults with congenital heart disease. He was part of the Scientific Advisory Committee for the 2017 World Congress of Pediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery in Barcelona and will continue the role for the World Congress in Washington in 20201. He also co-founded CHIMS, an organization committed to centralizing and re-distributing donated catheterisation equipment to developing countries He is involved in research in Ireland and abroad, having published over 120 peer reviewed articles and co-authored 20 chapters in International textbooks. His research areas of interest include Interventional Therapies for Congenital Heart Disease; Pediatric and Congenital Heart Failure and Adult Congenital Heart Disease.
- Bioresorbable scaffold development for conegnital heart disease
- Tissue engineered heart valves
- 3-D printing Stents
- Personalised medicine
- Honorary Associate Clinical Professor RCSI
- Fellow Society for Cardiovascular Interventions and Angiography
- Fellow American College of Cardiology
- Doctor of Medicine (MD), University of Bristol, UK
- MRCPCH (Royal College of Paediatricians and Child Health)
- MRCPI (Royal College of Physicians of Ireland)
- Played division one All-Ireland League rugby with Old Belvedere 1996-1997.
- Played senior hurling with St Oliver Plunketts, 1990-1991.
- Member of five Dublin Hospitals Cup winning teams.
- Completed Dublin City Marathon 2006.
- Completed Chicago Triathlon 2014.
- Keen Cyclist