Prevention of infection
Blackrock Clinic Infection Prevention & Control Prevention of infection
Blackrock Clinic is very focused on reducing the risk of possible infection. The Infection Prevention and Control Committee at Blackrock Clinic is continually developing evidence based programmes and initiatives to reduce incidents of infection:
- All patients, especially those at-risk, are screened upon admission for infection
- All hospital acquired infections are continually monitored by procedure and by surgeon
- All infection rates within Blackrock Clinic are exceptionally low. This is measured against national and international benchmarks
- A ‘Sleeves Up’ programme was instigated to ensure all clinical staff wear their sleeves up above their wrists, their ties tucked-in and no jewellery except plain wedding bands.
- All patient rooms have sinks for handwashing, plus hooks beside the sinks for jackets
- Patients with resistant organisms that can cause illness are isolated
- Strict decontamination polices and procedures are adhered to
To assist in ongoing research and data around infections, Blackrock Clinic participates in monitoring programmes including the National Health Protection Surveillance Centre and the European Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance Network.