Blackrock Clinic has one of the largest day surgery units in the country which has:
- Two full operating theatres,
- Two endoscopy suites,
- Three minor procedure rooms, and
- Thirty three bed spaces and recliner chairs.
In total the unit increases the hospital’s day surgery capacity by 200% and makes Blackrock Clinic one of the largest day care providers in the country.
The day unit has enabled the delivery of efficient treatment for up to 100 patients a day, or 30,000 patients a year, and we aim to deliver up to 70% of appropriate elective surgeries from the unit, including:
- cataract surgery,
- hernia repair, and
- varicose vein surgery.
In the last decade there has been a clear trend within advanced hospital systems towards reducing the number of acute beds. This is a direct result of increasing services through more efficient and productive routes such as the use of day surgery.
In the US, up to 80% of all appropriate elective operative procedures are now carried out at day surgery facilities. Irish hospitals, which by comparison had been delivering an average of only 55% of procedures in 2010, are now catching up with that.
Thus, Blackrock Clinic is pursuing a Day Surgery model for appropriate cases where patient outcomes retain the highest quality, while phasing out the non-core and unnecessary part of the service.
- 2 Theatres
- 2 Endoscopy rooms
- 3 Minor procedure rooms
- 25 Recovery beds
- Comfortable discharge lounge
- Doctors offices
- Friendly reception lobby
Direct Access Endoscopy Services are also available speedily with a referral letter from your GP.
- Gastroscopy: A Gastroscopy (OGD) is a test which allows the doctor to look at the lining of the oesophagus, the stomach and the first part of the intestine.
- Colonoscopy: A Colonoscopy is a visual examination of the lining of your bowel. It is performed by passing a small flexible tube through the rectum into the colon.
- Cystoscopy: A Cystoscopy is a test that allows your doctor to look at the interior lining of the bladder and the urethra. The cystoscope is a thin instrument with a light that is inserted into the urethra and advanced into the bladder.
- Hysteroscopy: A Hysteroscopy is a procedure that allows your doctor to look inside the uterus in order to diagnose and treat causes of abnormal bleeding. Hysteroscopy is done using a hysteroscope, a thin, lighted tube that is inserted into the vagina to examine the cervix and inside of the uterus.