Welcome to Blackrock Clinic Orthopaedic Services Department
Blackrock Clinic Orthopaedic Services department has an unrivalled reputation as a pioneering centre of excellence. Our multi faceted surgical teams constantly research their specialties and consequently bring some of the newest Orthopaedic techniques to Ireland.
Blackrock Clinic Orthopaedic Services department consists of a sizeable group of consultant Orthopaedic and Spinal surgeons who work as a cohesive group. It is currently under the chairmanship of Mr Fintan Doyle. The team has a crucial mix of seniority, public and private experience, and highly regarded reputations. International research and experience complement the mix, and are regularly put to use in Blackrock Clinic’s hi tech surgical theatres.
Minimally invasive surgical techniques are increasingly becoming the norm at Blackrock Clinic. This reduces the trauma to the patient and can lead to shorten recovery times.
- One significant advance of late has been in the area of spinal surgery, where “Minimal Access Spinal Techniques” (MAST), along with associated technologies, is developing very quickly.
- Another development includes the first ever “Direct Lateral Interbody Fusion” (DLIF) to be performed in Ireland. Blackrock Clinic was proud to host this milestone in 2011 under the ground breaking surgical expertise of Mr Pat Kiely.
- Mr. David Moore has commenced intramedullary limb lengthening to complement his deformity correction and reconstruction practice.
- The hospital has also become established as a scoliosis centre, with the biggest young adult deformity caseload in the country after Our Lady’s Hospital Crumlin.
- Further, a number of the consultants have extensive public sector trauma expertise which is very valuable in the context of the Blackrock Clinic Emergency Department.
Blackrock Clinic constantly maintains the environments within which the surgeons work, ensuring that the surgical theatres are able to accommodate the latest state of the art theater equipment.
2017 saw a major upgrade of the Orthopaedic Operating Theatres.
Blackrock Clinic operates a satellite centre in Monaghan to look after patients north of Dublin, giving them quicker access to attending consultants such as orthopaedic hip and knee specialist, Mr Fintan Doyle.
This is proving very successful and there are plans to develop other satellite centres around the country.