Following orthopaedic surgery, the orthopaedic physiotherapy team helps patients to regain their mobility and restore their independence and confidence. The team includes Senior Physiotherapists Nicole Benner, Mary Lynch and Melanie Mc Donald, with a junior physiotherapist and a physiotherapy assistant.
In order to deliver a comprehensive rehabilitation programme the orthopaedic physiotherapy team provides a service seven days a week. The team works closely with the surgeons and nursing staff to progress the patient’s recovery and discharge plan.
The most common types of surgery include:
- Joint replacement hip and knee
- Upper and lower limb fractures
- Spinal surgery
- Shoulder surgery
- Day case arthroscopic surgery
- Foot surgery
The dedicated orthopaedic floor includes a physiotherapy gym with all the equipment needed to enable a patient to progress through their inpatient stay and outpatient rehabilitation. Outpatient physiotherapy can be in the form of individual treatment or group exercise class depending on which is most appropriate.
Physiotherapy treatment includes:
- Pre-operative assessment and education
- Exercise prescription and progression under the supervision of the physiotherapy team
- Mobility training including gait re-education and planning safe discharge
- Supply and fitting of braces or splints as required
- Advice and education if requested by your consultant
Following lumbar disc surgery, if requested by their consultant, patients will be seen by a physiotherapist 4 to 6 weeks post operative and this is included in the patient’s package. Progression of rehabilitation and treatment is tailored to the individual needs.