A comprehensive type of sleep study that measures your breathing at night to look for recurring episodes of either significantly reduced breathing (so called hypopneas) or absent breathing (apneas), which both result in reduced oxygen levels.
The type of study we carry out is a Video-Polysomnography, as we also record a number of other things such as the heart rate, your sleeping position, the brain waves with EEG electrodes ( for identification of the different sleep stages) and muscle activity with EMG electrodes.
A sleep study is required to diagnose sleep disordered breathing, such as:
- sleep apnea, both obstructive (OSA) and central, and
- obesity hypoventilation syndrome (OHS).
Other indications are:
- Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD),
- Restless Leg Syndrome,
- Parasomnias such as REM-sleep behavioural disorder.
- It is also an important part of the diagnostic work-up if narcolepsy is suspected.
Video recording can be added to observe abnormal body movements during sleep.